Saturday, May 18, 2013

Interviewing Tips

As a person who has been on both sides of the fence the interviewer and interviewee I know a lot about what to say and what not to say when being interviewed. The company that I currently work for I am the Director of Operations and I need to help out on interviewing. The interviews that I do are over the phone because this company hires people to work from home. Most of them have been fine but others I am not sure what was going through these peoples minds.

Lets talk about the most important thing when it comes to interviewing. Don't bother interviewing with a company if you are skeptical of them. The company will have no interest in hiring you. They are there to sell to the clients not their employees. I had one interview with someone who was obviously very skeptical of us and did not hide it.

So I go through my interview questions and I ask them if they had a chance to take a look at our websites. Most people say "Yes I have and I am very excited about your services that you have to offer". This persons answer was "Yes I have and I have some questions". You DO NOT start an interview that way. Especially when I told this person in the beginning that this is a quick first interview and should we decide to continue on they will meeting with the owner. This interview was more like a sales meeting with a potential client.

I interviewed another person who when asked where the company should be in 10 years their response was "Sold to Google, well more like 5 years". Most companies do not have plans of selling their business in 5-10 years. A more appropriate answer would be a well known company like Google that is worldwide or something along those lines.

Now lets talk about what some companies do at interviews that is not appropriate and makes them look like a horrible place to work. I have been to interviews where I am shocked that how unprofessional this company is run and how they are even still in business. For example, I went to an interview for a temp agency back 4 years ago. I was filling out the job application in the waiting room and I hear someone slam a phone down and start using profanity up a storm about a person who signed up with them. That is just unacceptable!

I went to another place for an interview where I walked in and asked for a person who was conducting my interview and they didn't want to tell me. They kept joking around and sending me to one person after the other. Finally I got the right person and the interview was a complete joke.

So if you want to be successful at an interview please do not do what I mentioned above. Make eye contact, have a firm handshake, oh and don't have gum in your mouth! You need to come up with great answers to their questions so be prepared. Lastly, if you go to an interview with a company that seems completely disorganized and they are jerks to you then just walk out. You don't need to work for a company that treats you that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment