Sunday, May 20, 2012

Vector Marketing

Vector Marketing is a company that sells a knife set made by Cutco. Cutco knives are really good but really expensive. I have several friends that have worked for this company and after investigating some more I have decided that they are full of shit. Despite Cutco being a real good product the way they treat their employees is terrible. You see job postings by them that do not state what the job is, all they say is "no cold calling or canvassing".  They also have a base pay of anywhere from $12.50-$19.50+. Now people contact them thinking that they will be making that per hour. What they don't tell you is that is per appointment which usually lasts 2-3 hours and only if someone doesn't buy anything. If someone buys something its either the base pay OR commission depending which is greater. You are not paid for training and you need to buy the knife set to do demonstrations. So instead of making money you are spending it.

This company will hire anyone that is stupid enough to take the job. Yes A FEW people have made good money from them but more people have made very little or nothing. You need to get your own leads which start off as friends and family. Then you need to ask the people who you present to for referrals. You then contact those referrals and see if you can get an appointment with them to demonstrate these knives. Once again, the knife sets they sell are a really good product. The way that they market is morally wrong.

They also tell you that they will give you money for college. I have heard this is true from some people and others say its not. I am not going to say if it is true or not simply because I do not know.

Now lets talk about the professionalism of the company employees. I called up Vector Marketing a couple years ago to confront them about their ways. I asked the receptionist who answered the phone if they enjoy ripping their employees off. She acted like she had no idea what I was talking about. She told me I was misinformed. I asked her to tell me if employees need to pay for the knife set and she said yes. I said that's all I needed to know and hung up.

These receptionists are receiving calls daily from people that have worked for the company calling them a rip off and asking for their money. They also receive calls from people wanting to schedule an interview. Some people will do research and once they find out the company is bullshit they will call back and cancel. The receptionists will become very rude because they have an interview quota to make. So they basically are sales people. They even hire tons of receptionists over the summer months because that is when they recruit college kids. They have reps from the company go to schools and ask the students to fill out information cards. Then the receptionists will call them up to set up an interview. They also have signs along the road advertising $19.50 per hour then it says their number.

I put an ad on Craigslist letting people know that the company is a rip off and not to apply. A couple hours later I received an email from a Vector Marketing Sales Representative calling me a "Fucking Idiot". They said that I have no idea what I am talking about and how it is a great company and they give you money for college and blah blah blah. Wow, an amazing person to represent the company huh?

My advice is to not work for this company. You will most likely make little if not any money. It is a revolving door because no one stays. I will probably get hate mail and/or rude comments on this blog but I don't care. I am just stating the facts about this company. Great product, shitty and deceiving ways to market the product.

UPDATE: I have received responses to this blog entry and I would like all of you to check out a real detailed site about Vector Marketing knifeup.com.

10 comments:

  1. here is my story http://www.aventadoor.blogspot.com/2012/08/is-vector-marketing-really-one-big-scam.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm scared to call the receptionist and cancel. I guess me NOT showing up for the interview is good enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are use to people not showing up. Once they are googled most people will blow off the interview.

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with this article. I used to think I was the only one not making money through this company but i'm happy to know i'm not the only one. I intend to quit very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. legit, i wont waste too much time but you have no idea what you are saying because 99.9% of everything you said is completely false. you don't pay for the kit anymore, you do get paid the base pay if sales aren't higher, it's not hard to sell, cutco is better than any knives, compare and contrast if you but you wont find anything like it, you start with your people to get recomendations because your not cold calling or going door to door, i started with ten i have 180 i still haven't called yet, everything you do, gas wise and expese for the trips to conferences, or food for presentations are 100% tax deductible. the thing is that vector is the only job that pushes you to actually work for your money instead of getting paid the same as the average guy that slacks off on his shift, plus if you want to look at phone times and appointment times as an hourly shift, think 3 hours phoning twice a week so 6, 15 appointments a week for example(they last 45 minutes to an hour) think 13.50 per hour( 283.50 flat weekly) now think the average sale being $250, which it is nationally, 60% sales ratio which it is, at 20% commision(once you sell $3000, which i did on my second week, some did earlier, it goes up 5% from 10, once you get to 30% the next is 40% then 45% then 50%) you made $450 that week as oppose to $283.50, now multiply that for a month, you made $1,800 that month, working 21 hours, not even full time, you make your schedule and if you want to you can do 1 appointment a week but you wont get paid much because you're lazy and thats when you go online and post these blogs or videos saying we're a scam...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tito, before you sit here and call us lazy people who worked for them but didn't do anything I want to let you know that I NEVER worked for them. I know many people who have worked for them in the past and I have spoken to reps from Vector Marketing about the price that they charge for the knife set you as a rep need to buy. As I stated in this blog this is a GREAT product. I have used their knives before and love them. However, the way they market this "job" to the general public is BS. You know that this is true so I am just going to leave it at that.

      Delete
  5. You just basically repeated everything he said, but in your own words...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently applied and got hired in a receptionist and a rep position. I too heard about this scam before going to the interview. I was nervous right away. It is really easy to listen to online blogs and videos and let the information get under your skin. However, I am SO glad I went to the interview. It really cleared up a lot of misconceptions I had about the company. If you actually did your research you would find that Cutco was featured on modern marvels. Also, Vector marketing is featured in over 20 college texts book. It is given accreditation by the better business bureau (http://www.bbb.org/upstate-new-york/business-reviews/cutlery/vector-marketing-corporation-in-olean-ny-1105/). Cutco and vector marketing have been in business since 1949. We have over 15 million customers nation wide and also an average of 200 million in sales each year. I think that any sales position is what you make it. Vector is willing to give college students the opportunity to work in a business corporation with no experience in order to gain experience. The scholarships are real and the opportunities are as well. If you are nervous or unsure of the company please feel free to call an office near you to schedule an interview where any of your questions will be answered and you will be given the chance to make your OWN opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh here we go again! Another person who works for Vector Marketing trying to give everyone a sales pitch. I love how they just posted a Craigslist ad with the same exact thing you said about being featured in over 20 text books. Don't waste your time trying to tell everyone how great it is when its NOT.

      Delete
  7. I used to work here when I was 18 years old fresh out of highschool and I agree 100% it is complete bull shit. OK so here's my story. I had a class mate from my college that told about this job. He said that you can make great money and dint say anything about getting your own am customers. So I call the number and I didn't even know the marketing place was like an hour away from my house (Chicago suburb) so I told them im interested (I know I was a dumb ass) and she scheduled me for a interview like that night. So I was all excited and got there thinking it was going to be like 10 or 20 mins tops and the interview was like fucking 4-5 hours?? Like wtf? So then I was all excited to be hired and get told to come in for training so I'm like OK this shouldn't take long maybe like one day, I was worn, OK trying was like 3 days on the weekend, Friday Saturday and Sunday if I remember. Each day was like 4-8 hours I think even 10 hours once don't remember but yah it was like a al
    Morning till night presentation thing. And training was even further away from my house which really pissed me off but I needed a job very badly so I just took all their shit. Then the managers are complete jackoff. They never answered their phone they say they never have time and don't even answers all my questions worst managers ever!! Please don't make the mistake I made and just take a job handed to you actually read up what this is because it will bite you in the ass (literally) shit man I wish I could get my 3 months back from joing this shutbhole ):

    ReplyDelete